I've realized that I haven't really blogged a whole lot since my Little Birdie was born. LOL! I guess that's the realistic part of being a parent. There is NO time to do things that I once was able to do.
How much I wish I could just give up breastfeeding and start DF on formula. I'd have SO much more freedom to do the things I want to do. I wouldn't have to sit in a closed off office at work to express milk three times a day. I could leave DF with my family and friends for longer periods not having to worry about them running out of milk so I could go to the gym or beach at my leisure. I could go out with friends and not have to worry about what I'm putting into my body that would then transfer over to him. Then I snap back to reality and remember that is purely selfish desires. DF deserves the best that I can offer him and if that means sacrificing certain things in my life, then so be it. Not to mention that breast milk is the best thing to feed an infant because it provides them all the nutrition and antibodies that the little ones need to fight off illnesses and to boost his immunity.
Despite the limitations that nursing may bring, I honestly wouldn't trade it for anything! I love the bond that DF and I build each time that he nurses. The way he looks up at me and clings to me with each feeding. The security that he gains from our closeness makes me smile every time. I love the way he relaxes each time I lay him in my arms and soothe him with my breast. I laugh each time I see his little head turn towards me, his little birdie mouth open, waiting for what I have to offer. And how he hungrily latches on, sometimes missing and biting down a little too hard.
The other day my friend L was watching him and stopped by my office for a visit. He started to fuss and I couldn't nurse him so I popped a bottle in his mouth to keep him quiet. It was the most unnatural feeling to be holding my little boy and sticking an artificial nipple into his mouth. I couldn't bear it so I placed him in his stroller and told L that they should probably leave.
I think I'm going to have a hard time weaning him once he hits a year old. ;)
How much I wish I could just give up breastfeeding and start DF on formula. I'd have SO much more freedom to do the things I want to do. I wouldn't have to sit in a closed off office at work to express milk three times a day. I could leave DF with my family and friends for longer periods not having to worry about them running out of milk so I could go to the gym or beach at my leisure. I could go out with friends and not have to worry about what I'm putting into my body that would then transfer over to him. Then I snap back to reality and remember that is purely selfish desires. DF deserves the best that I can offer him and if that means sacrificing certain things in my life, then so be it. Not to mention that breast milk is the best thing to feed an infant because it provides them all the nutrition and antibodies that the little ones need to fight off illnesses and to boost his immunity.
Despite the limitations that nursing may bring, I honestly wouldn't trade it for anything! I love the bond that DF and I build each time that he nurses. The way he looks up at me and clings to me with each feeding. The security that he gains from our closeness makes me smile every time. I love the way he relaxes each time I lay him in my arms and soothe him with my breast. I laugh each time I see his little head turn towards me, his little birdie mouth open, waiting for what I have to offer. And how he hungrily latches on, sometimes missing and biting down a little too hard.
The other day my friend L was watching him and stopped by my office for a visit. He started to fuss and I couldn't nurse him so I popped a bottle in his mouth to keep him quiet. It was the most unnatural feeling to be holding my little boy and sticking an artificial nipple into his mouth. I couldn't bear it so I placed him in his stroller and told L that they should probably leave.
I think I'm going to have a hard time weaning him once he hits a year old. ;)




No comments:
Post a Comment