Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Milk Anyone?

Since D is now a month old  and I may be heading back to work sooner than expected, I have decided to start pumping my milk so that D can get used to drinking from a bottle. I don't want him to associate me with the bottle so J and I decided that he would be the one to give him the bottle.

I have to say that "pumping" is one of the most unnatural and embarrassing things I have ever done!!! I seriously feel like a cow sitting there expressing milk from myself. LOL! 

Anyway, Monday was my first attempt at pumping. I started late in the afternoon, which was a bad idea since my milk supply was depleted already. It took quite a while just to get a little over 2 oz.

J wasn't home yet and M was over so when the little guy woke up she attempted to give him his first bottle. LOL! I really wish I got pictures and video because D was offended that we were sticking that in his mouth! He was screaming SO loud!
After many attempts, we decided that the best way would be to trick him into taking it. So we latched him on to me, then quickly pulled him off and M stuck the bottle in his mouth.
SUCCESS!!!
He gulped down the milk...
As I was sitting there watching M bottle feed my little boy, I could not hold back tears. I don't know what came over me but I was extremely emotional... =( The first thought that came to my mind was that my little boy didn't need me anymore. *sniff sniff* Then I got scared that he would start to prefer the bottle than me! 

M thought it was cute and funny how sad I was. LOL! I thought it was pretty funny myself. A few minutes after I started crying J came walking into the door and he was like "Why are you crying???"
He saw D sucking on the bottle and said I should be happy that he is taking the bottle. LOL! I totally was but it was mixed feelings... Happy that he was okay with the bottle and saddened at the same time because his dependency on me has been slightly lessened.

Okay, so that was our first attempt...
Yesterday I decided to pump again so that I could start getting used to it.
I pumped in the morning and I was able to produce more milk in a quicker time. I decided at that point that pumping wasn't too bad and that I could get used to this. I expressed a little over 2 oz in just a few minutes and then the little guy woke up so I stopped. Later that evening I pumped a little more to get at least 4 oz.

J came home and when D woke up J was excited to feed him the bottle. I told J to wait until we were ready to put him down for the night...
Later that evening J and D came upstairs and D was starting to fuss so we figured we'd attempt to feed him his bottle.
It was a struggle at first. D was screaming as he did the first time so J had to stop a few times to calm him. Once he was calm, J was able to slide the bottle's nipple into D's mouth and he started to drink from it.
=)
I didn't cry this time!
I loved seeing J be able to bond with his son in something that from birth until now I was only able to do. 

I'm hoping that J can at least feed him a bottle once a day from now until I return to work. I think it would be good for D to start getting used to it but know that I am still his primary food source! HA HA!

Below are pictures of J feeding him...





I love how D is looking up at his Daddy while he is eating... D's probably thinking: "Uh...You don't have the booby juice. How is this happening???"

At least now that we know D will take the bottle. That means more freedom for Mommy and Daddy!!! YEAY!!!!


3 comments:

  1. aaaw the pictures are so sweet!!! i can and can't wait to try feeding gracie with a bottle. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. Sweet pictures! I totally relate to the sadness that comes from feeling like he doesn't need you anymore. You'll go through that at every point he becomes more independent. When JK started sleeping through the night, I suddenly realized I REALLY missed our midnight feedings. I was depressed and crying. Until I realized I could sleep through the night. I got over it pretty quick. :-)

    So see...this means J can help with those middle of the night feedings while you rest. Not bad right? :-)

    Oh...and when JK started walking. I was a MESS. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully he'll never go on a nursing strike! My son did, and boy did I feel like he didn't NEED me. The doctor said not to give him a bottle so he didn't eat for almost 2 days. It was heartwrenching :(

    ReplyDelete